Bonian Golmohammadi was elected Secretary-General of the World Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA) in August 2009. Since then, WFUNA has substantially grown in its programmatic activities, organizational structure - including the establishment of new offices in Seoul, Korea, Brussels, Belgium and New Delhi, India - and partnerships.
Previously, Mr. Golmohammadi served as Secretary-General of the United Nations Association (UNA) of Sweden for eight years. Under his leadership, UNA-Sweden increased its budget from $1 million to $5 million, and expanded its staff from 10 to 30 full-time employees. During his tenure, Mr. Golmohammadi introduced several new programmatic initiatives, such as a bilateral international project in more than ten countries including China, Georgia, Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo. The projects ranged on issues from the Millennium Development Goals, conflict prevention, human rights and organizational capacity building.
In addition to programmatic initiatives, Mr. Golmohammadi guided UNA-Sweden to increase its marketing and public relations capacity. As a result, UNA-Sweden was awarded a Gold Medal at the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival 2009 for True Evidence of War, a media campaign to support war victims of Georgia. UNA Sweden won a gold medal at the EuroBest Advertising Awards in 2009 as well as several PR, advertising and marketing awards in Sweden. UNA Sweden now has over 110 local chapters all over Sweden and more than 100 national organizations as members.
Since 2015, he serves as Co-Chair on the Steering Committee of the Transparency, Accountability and Participation Network (TAP Network), a broad network of CSOs that works to ensure that open, inclusive, accountable and effective governance is at the heart of the UN's Post-2015 Development Agenda. Since 2005, Mr. Golmohammadi has served as President of the UNA Europe Network, coordinating United Nations Associations from all over Europe. He has served or is serving on various advisory boards for Swedish Ministers for Development, international development corporations, UN entities, and civil society organizations. Prior to joining UNA-Sweden, Mr. Golmohammadi worked with consultancy and private businesses in Sweden and the Czech Republic, including developing a national globalization project for high schools, working with publishing as well as project management.
Mr. Golmohammadi earned a degree in Political Science, and has studied International Law, Human Rights and Philosophy, from Stockholm and Uppsala Universities.
Speeches and Statements
- Human Rights Day Message 2016, December 2016
- WFUNA70 Commemoration Statement, Luxembourg, October 2016
- Message to Founding UNAs on WFUNA's 70th Anniversary, August, 2016
- Message to all UNAs on WFUNA's 70th Anniversary, August, 2016
- Human Rights Day Message 2015, December 2015
- UN Day Message 2015, October 2015
- Keynote Speech, International Human Rights Conference, Jagran Lakecity University, Bhopal, India, October 2015
- End of Year Message 2014, December 2014
- UN Day Message 2014, October 2014
- End of Year Message 2013, December 2013
- Human Rights Day Message, December 2013
- UN Day Message 2013, October 2013
- End of Year Message 2012, December 2012
- Human Rights Day Message, December 2012
- Bonian Golmohammadi interviewed by Arirang TV on UN Day 2016, 24 October 2016
- Bonian Golmohammadi interviewed by Inter Press Service's Lyndal Rowlands, 2 September 2016
- Bonian Golmohammadi interviewed by CNBC Asia's Rhie Lim, 25 January 2014
- The United Nations and the Role of Civil Society, Arirang TV's After 10, 16 January 2014
- UN Special Interview with Secretary-General Bonian Golmohammadi, 10 June 2013
- Youth camp to focus on honing debate skills, Korea Joongang Daily, 2 May 2013 [pdf]
- Perseverance, precedence and pragmatism – reforming the Security Council one step at a time, UNA UK New World, 13 September, 2016
- Want The Best Candidate For The Job Of United Nations Secretary-General? Reform The Security Council, Huffington Post, 31 August 2016
- Open debate is a big step forward for the reform-phobic UN Security Council, The Guardian, 20 May 2016
- Without peace, can there be development?, Huffington Post, 30 September 2014
- Making Inclusive Space: Bringing the 'Peoples' into the UN, Huffington Post, 24 January 2014
- Civil Society and Rio+20, UN Chronicle, 11 June 2012
- Human Rights Council 2012: Keeping Up the Credibility,
- Why We Need a Global Environmental Organization, Huffington Post, 12 January 2012