Our Work: The Global Citizen Campaign
WFUNA was founded on the premise that all people are interconnected through the UN's core values. It was essentially a 21st-century organization formed in the post-war era of sovereign nation states. WFUNA advocates the principle that global peace, justice and prosperity depend on multilateral cooperation, for which the UN is the key facilitating organization, and fully support the initiative of Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon for such multilateralism to underpin international cooperation.
Today's complex problems require solutions that reflect partnerships among all sectors - specifically civil society. Civil society provides a connection between the grassroots, a dynamism inspired by a people-focused orientation, and expert knowledge on relevant issues. It has the ability to influence government decisions through advocacy activities, and the power to achieve change through collective action. WFUNA believes that the involvement of civil society is essential to the solution of global challenges and will work to increase its role and presence in the United Nations system.
WFUNA's leadership is therefore embarking on a global campaign to take WFUNA to the next level of institutional governance, which will call for increased activity and support for its constituencies. Driven by this conviction, we have created the WFUNA Global Citizen Campaign, whose goal is to identify support both for WFUNA's institutional growth and for its programs and activities that will:
- Underscore the interconnectedness of global issues and therefore of all peoples
- Promote the cooperative and democratic problem-solving of global issues
- Educate and engage the youth of today to be leaders and world citizens - mainly through the use of digital media - so that they may understand and embrace global interdependence
WFUNA is working in three general policy areas, and is now generating new programs in these key points of entry for support. They are:
- Working for Peace and Security, with a special focus on the Responsibility to Protect, and disarmament and nuclear non-proliferation
- Promoting Sustainable Development, with a special focus on the UN Millennium Development Goals and climate change
- Securing Human Rights, with a special focus on the Human Rights Council, human rights education, and implementing human rights standards at all levels
WFUNA will work to rally member UNAs to participate in the programs within these three areas, thereby creating a ripple effect throughout the globe.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest on WFUNA's programs
WFUNA Annual Report
Download our annual report for 2012
We work with our UNAs as they carry out our mandate on the ground in their national associations.